Kibana - GIS Data Engineer
Elastic (NYSE: ESTC) is a search company with a simple goal: to solve the world's data problems with products that delight and inspire. As the creators of the Elastic Stack, we help thousands of organizations including Cisco, eBay, Goldman Sachs, Microsoft, The Mayo Clinic, NASA, The New York Times, Wikipedia, Verizon, and many more use Elastic to power mission-critical systems. From stock quotes to Twitter streams, Apache logs to WordPress blogs, our products are extending what's possible with data, delivering on the promise that good things come from connecting the dots. We have a distributed team of Elasticians across 30+ countries (and counting), and our diverse open source community spans over 100 countries. Learn more at elastic.co
At Elastic, we have a simple goal: to solve the world's data problems with products that delight and inspire. As the company behind the popular open source projects — Elasticsearch, Kibana, Logstash, and Beats — we help people around the world do great things with their data. From stock quotes to Twitter streams, Apache logs to WordPress blogs, our products are extending what's possible with data, delivering on the promise that good things come from connecting the dots. Diversity drives our vibe. We unite employees across 30+ countries into one coherent team, while the broader community spans across over 100 countries.
We’re adding more Geospatial capabilities to Kibana
Are you an experienced Geospatial Data processing analyst/developer ready to build advanced GIS data sets for publishing via the Elastic Map Service? Do you have a feel for map design and cartography and a familiarity with GIS data sources and vendors? Are you the kind of person who is familiar with the standard data formats for various GIS data resources and can maintain data sets and update them, transform them, and create a processing pipeline to automate the processing for publishing through the Elastic Map Service?
If so, we'd love to talk.
If you read this far and think, “that's me!” then you probably won't need to read any further and we should have a conversation. But if you are in any doubt the type of experiences we expect you to have then the following should help clarify;
Kibana is the window into the Elastic Stack
Kibana lets users visualize their Elasticsearch data and navigate the Elastic Stack, so they can do anything from learning why they’re getting paged at 2:00 a.m. to understanding the impact rain might have on their quarterly numbers. Kibana gives users the freedom to select the way they give craft to their data. And they don’t always have to know what they’re looking for. With its interactive visualizations, users start with one question and see where it leads them. Kibana core ships with the classics: histograms, line graphs, pie charts, sunbursts, and more. They demonstrate the full aggregation capabilities of Elasticsearch.
Engineering a highly complex distributed system that is easy to operate via elegantly designed APIs is a non-trivial effort. It requires solid software development skills, and more importantly, a sharp mind and the ability to think like a user. We also care deeply about giving you full ownership of what you’re working on. Our company fundamentally believes great minds achieve greatness when they are set free and are surrounded and challenged by their peers, which is clearly visible in our organization. At Elastic, we effectively don’t have a hierarchy to speak of. We feel that anyone needs to be in the position to comment on truly anything, regardless of his or her role within the company.
- Innovate, lead and contribute to the GIS data processing pipeline at Elastic
- Help with sourcing, analysing and evaluating data sets for acquisition by Elastic
- Collaborate with other development teams, quality engineering team, and documentation team to execute on product work
Skills & Requirements
- Minimum of 3-year experience with Geospatial Information Systems (GIS) such as OpenGeo Suite, Google Maps, MapBox, or CartoDB.
- Minimum of 3-year experience with Java, Scala, Python, or similar development language.
- Extensive knowledge in different programming or scripting languages like Java, Linux, C++, PHP, Ruby, Python and/or R.
- Experience working with raster and vector data sets applying GDAL and similar spatial libraries
- Experience developing REST style and OGC APIs that serve up geospatial data using GeoServer or other similar open source technologies, preferably in a cloud environment
- Experience in using Geo Server enabled services via JS libraries: Google Maps, OpenLayers, Leaflet, Mapbox etc...
- Ability to work in a fast paced start-up environment
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills, a great teammate with strong analytical, problem solving, debugging and troubleshooting skills
- Strong preference for Open Source experience
- Deeply competitive pay, medical, dental, vision, disability, benefits
- Stock options
- Catered lunches, snacks, and beverages in most offices
- An environment in which you can balance great work with a great life
- Passionate people building great products
- Employees with a wide variety of interests
Your age is only a number. It doesn't matter if you're just out of college or your children are; we need you for what you can do.
Distributed-first company with employees all over the world, speaking over 30 languages! Some even fly south for the winter :)
Elastic is an Equal Employment employer committed to the principles of equal employment opportunity and affirmative action for all applicants and employees. Qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender perception or identity, national origin, age, marital status, protected veteran status, or disability status or any other basis protected by federal, state or local law, ordinance or regulation.
Elastic also makes reasonable accommodations for disabled employees consistent with applicable law.
Additional Information - We Take Care of Our People
At Elastic, we strive to have parity of benefits across regions. While regulations differ from place to place, we believe taking care of people is the right thing to do.
- Health coverage for you and your family.
- Flexible location and schedule for many roles.
- Generous number of vacation days each year.
- Double your charitable giving — we match up to 1% of your salary.
- Up to 40 hours each year to use toward volunteer projects you love.
When you apply to a job on this site, the personal data contained in your application will be collected by Elasticsearch, Inc. (“Elastic”) which is located at 800 W. El Camino Real, Suite 350 Mountain View, CA 94040 USA, and can be contacted by emailing email@example.com. Your personal data will be processed for the purposes of managing Elastic’s recruitment related activities, which include setting up and conducting interviews and tests for applicants, evaluating and assessing the results thereto, and as is otherwise needed in the recruitment and hiring processes. Such processing is legally permissible under Art. 6(1)(f) of Regulation (EU) 2016/679 (General Data Protection Regulation) as necessary for the purposes of the legitimate interests pursued by Elastic, which are the solicitation, evaluation, and selection of applicants for employment. Your personal data will be shared with Greenhouse Software, Inc., a cloud services provider located in the United States of America and engaged by Elastic to help manage its recruitment and hiring process on Elastic’s behalf. Accordingly, if you are located outside of the United States, your personal data will be transferred to the United States once you submit it through this site. Because the European Union Commission has determined that United States data privacy laws do not ensure an adequate level of protection for personal data collected from EU data subjects, the transfer will be subject to appropriate additional safeguards under the standard contractual clauses. You can obtain a copy of the standard contractual clauses by contacting us at firstname.lastname@example.org. Elastic’s data protection officer is Daniela Duda, who can be contacted at email@example.com. We plan to keep your data until our open role is filled. We cannot estimate the exact time period, but we will consider this period ended when a candidate accepts our job offer for the position for which we are considering you. When that period is over, we may keep your data for an additional period no longer than 3 years in case additional opportunities present themselves in which yours skills might be better suited. For additional details, please see our Elastic Privacy Statement https://www.elastic.co/legal/privacy-statement.
Notify Me of Open Positions
Sign up to receive emails when Elastic posts open positions you might be interested in: