At Elastic, we see endless possibility in a world of endless data. And we use the power of search to help people and organizations turn that possibility into results. Elastic is the leading platform for search-powered solutions. With solutions in Enterprise Search, Observability, and Security, we help improve customer and employee search experiences, keep critical applications running smoothly, and protect against cyber threats. Elastic enables organizations worldwide to use the power of Elastic, including Netflix, Uber, BBC, Microsoft, and thousands of others.
Elastic was built on a foundation of being free and open, which trickles down to how we work. We’re a distributed organization and have been from the beginning. Being distributed isn’t just a way of doing business—it’s a mentality that is at the core of our culture.
We are hiring a Business Integrity & Privacy Officer (BIPO) to join our Legal Department in this fast growing, truly globally distributed company! This position is ideal for a self-sufficient and resourceful executive located anywhere in the United States. This is a growth position in a fast-paced technology company covering SaaS, Licensing and Managed Packages.
What You Will Be Doing:
- This leader is the architect and steward of the enterprise compliance and data privacy strategy, structure and processes, ensuring adherence with relevant regulation, relying on the resources available to you across the company and counseling executives and the business on the evolving regulatory environment to ensure that we operate with the highest integrity, while keeping the business moving forward with velocity.
- At Elastic, we recognize that Business Integrity is an integral part of business confidence and that everyone is accountable to each other and our customers. As the leader of this program, you will ensure that internal controls policies, procedures, corrective actions and continuous improvements are made as required to support the company in achieving its growth objectives.
- You will provide reasonable assurance to leadership that there are effective and efficient policies and procedures in place and that these are well understood by all employees so that we have confidence that the company is complying with relevant regulatory requirements. In this capacity, the BIPO:
- Maintains current knowledge of laws and regulations, keeping abreast of recent changes;
- Develops the annual compliance work plan that reflects the company's highest risks that will be monitored by the compliance function as determined by conducting a risk assessment (annually or as needed), using an enterprise wide approach (partnering with Internal Audit and other risk functions);
- Provides guidance and assurance to the board of directors, executive management, staff, and employees on relevant matters of compliance including anti-bribery, gifts and entertainment, third party due diligence, conflicts of interest, etc.;
- Responds to government investigations and queries as the key connector (in collaboration with the CLO and other team members);
- Oversees and supervises the implementation of the program framework including the development and coordination of a multifaceted training and education program, developing creative materials at an institutional level for distribution to all employees to enhance awareness of compliance activities, including online and posters to create understanding of employee’s individual and collective responsibilities to conduct business with the utmost integrity;
- Independently (together with the core investigations team, and in line with the company investigations guideline) investigates and acts on matters related to compliance, including the flexibility to design and coordinate internal investigations (e.g., responding to reports of problems, 'hot-line' calls, or suspected violations) and any resulting corrective actions;
Furthermore, as the company lead for the Data Privacy Program, the BIPO acts as the Champion and lead strategist for data privacy and provides forward-leaning business customer advocacy to ensure company, customer and vendor success. We know that, as a data company, data privacy is everyone's business. In particular this role will ensure:
- a positive company culture for data protection;
- as a data company, the BIPO will lead a highly collaborative organization that ensures that employees are educated on important data protection and risk mitigation needs relevant to our business, our products, and our internal compliance requirements through training, inclusive activities (such as champion programs, education and training and expert advice);
- policies and streamlined procedures will be drafted to reflect current regulation and company practices and procedures, in consultation with key collaborators;
- maintenance of accurate records for all data processing activities within the company;
- you will proactively conduct audits to ensure compliance and to address potential issues, including leveraging internal resources with cross functional collaboration.
What You Bring Along:
- Demonstrated ability advising technology companies on business integrity and cross functional compliance issues, either in house or at a law firm (10+ years).
- General understanding and ability to learn about data protection requirements relevant to cloud and open source.
- Excellent judgment and the ability to balance legal risks with business strategy, including scaling quickly in a fast paced environment.
- Ability to flexibly prioritize and handle ambiguity.
- Passion for cross-functional collaboration and team work.
Additional Information - We Take Care of Our People
As a distributed company, diversity drives our identity. Whether you’re looking to launch a new career or grow an existing one, Elastic is the type of company where you can balance great work with great life. Your age is only a number. It doesn’t matter if you’re just out of college or your children are; we need you for what you can do.
We strive to have parity of benefits across regions and while regulations differ from place to place, we believe taking care of our people is the right thing to do.
- Competitive pay based on the work you do here and not your previous salary
- Health coverage for you and your family in many locations
- Ability to craft your calendar with flexible locations and schedules for many roles
- Generous number of vacation days each year
- Double your charitable giving - We match donations 1:1 up to $1500 USD (or local currency equivalent)
- Up to 40 hours each year to use toward volunteer projects you love.
- Embracing parenthood with minimum of 16 weeks of parental leave
The typical starting Total Cash Compensation range for new hires in this role is between $240,000 and $390,000, which consists of a Base Salary or a Base Salary plus a Target Commission, depending on the specific role. The Base Salary offered may vary depending on factors including skills and experience.
Additionally, this role is currently eligible to participate in Elastic’s equity plan as well as a range of health & wellbeing, retirement savings, and other benefits within a holistic total rewards offering.
Different people approach problems differently. We need that. Elastic is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer committed to diversity, equity, and inclusion. Qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, ethnicity, color, religion, sex, pregnancy, sexual orientation, gender perception or identity, national origin, age, marital status, protected veteran status, disability status, or any other basis protected by federal, state or local law, ordinance or regulation.
We welcome individuals with disabilities and strive to create an accessible and inclusive experience for all individuals. To request an accommodation during the application or the recruiting process, please email firstname.lastname@example.org We will reply to your request within 24 business hours of submission.
Applicants have rights under Federal Employment Laws, view posters linked below:
Family and Medical Leave Act (FMLA) Poster; Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) Poster; and Employee Polygraph Protection Act (EPPA) Poster.
Please see here for our Privacy Statement.