Manager, Infrastructure - (CI)
Elastic (NYSE: ESTC) is a search company with a simple goal: to solve the world's data problems with products that delight and inspire. As the creators of the Elastic Stack, we help thousands of organizations including Cisco, eBay, Goldman Sachs, Microsoft, The Mayo Clinic, NASA, The New York Times, Wikipedia, Verizon, and many more use Elastic to power mission-critical systems. From stock quotes to Twitter streams, Apache logs to WordPress blogs, our products are extending what's possible with data, delivering on the promise that good things come from connecting the dots. We have a distributed team of Elasticians across 30+ countries (and counting), and our diverse open source community spans over 100 countries. Learn more at elastic.co
At Elastic, we have a simple goal: to solve the world's data problems with products that delight and inspire. As the company behind the popular open source projects — Elasticsearch, Kibana, Logstash, and Beats — we help people around the world do great things with their data. From stock quotes to real time Twitter streams, Apache logs to WordPress blogs, our products are extending what's possible with data, delivering on the promise that good things come from connecting the dots. The Elastic family unites employees across 30+ countries into one coherent team, while the broader community spans across over 100 countries.
The Elastic Stack is the unparalleled swiss army knife of search and analytics. It takes hundreds of engineers and large infrastructure to keep its development on track. A critical piece of the effort is our multi-cloud, distributed CI environment. We need a dedicated lead to take over the people management, operational health, and delivery of its team.
What you will be doing
- Manage and mentor a globally distributed team of 5-10 experienced engineers. You would evaluate performance, give timely feedback, and advocate for their career paths.
- Work closely with engineering teams and leadership to define requirements and roadmap. The product teams depend on CI constantly. Proactivity is important.
- Organize effective call rotations to maximize service health and engineer quality of life.
- Foster a culture of mutual respect, collaboration, and consensus-based decision-making.
- Commit to software-first principles. We are developers that manage state.
- Plan for team capacity and help drive recruitment of high quality people.
What you will bring along
- Significant experience leading teams of software engineers, preferably in site reliability. You don't need to have been a people manager, but this is a people management role. You can (and should!) write code, but your priority is to help others do it.
- Significant experience building and deploying complex, and completely automated, systems. We run a multi-cloud, multi-OS environment built upon immutable infrastructure. It's a mixture of off-the-shelf Jenkins and custom software. You'll need technical empathy as you help your reports fulfill their mission.
- Expert-level programming experience in at least one computer language and deep familiarity with its build and testing ecosystem.
- Genuine care for the well-being of your employees, striving to be an emotionally intelligent, egoless, humble, servant-leader. A sense of humor is a big help. You believe that a diverse company is a better company.
Experience/interest in these would be nice:
- Search and analytics tools, particularly the Elastic Stack. A love for what our company builds will only help.
- We are a polyglot team; a love for languages would serve you well.
- Speaking/presenting publicly. You will need to communicate effectively to others.
- Open source. OSS is our DNA. If you have ever contributed to an open-source project, or even just followed one closely you'll have a good sense for how our company operates.
- Competitive pay
- Catered lunches, snacks, and beverages in most offices
- An environment in which you can balance great work with a great life
- Passionate people building great products
- Employees with a wide variety of interests
Elastic is an Equal Employment employer committed to the principles of equal employment opportunity and affirmative action for all applicants and employees. Qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender perception or identity, national origin, age, marital status, protected veteran status, or disability status or any other basis protected by federal, state or local law, ordinance or regulation. Elastic also makes reasonable accommodations for disabled employees consistent with applicable law.
Additional Information - We Take Care of Our People
At Elastic, we strive to have parity of benefits across regions. While regulations differ from place to place, we believe taking care of people is the right thing to do.
- Health coverage for you and your family.
- Flexible location and schedule for many roles.
- Generous number of vacation days each year.
- Double your charitable giving — we match up to 1% of your salary.
- Up to 40 hours each year to use toward volunteer projects you love.
When you apply to a job on this site, the personal data contained in your application will be collected by Elasticsearch, Inc. (“Elastic”) which is located at 800 W. El Camino Real, Suite 350 Mountain View, CA 94040 USA, and can be contacted by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org. Your personal data will be processed for the purposes of managing Elastic’s recruitment related activities, which include setting up and conducting interviews and tests for applicants, evaluating and assessing the results thereto, and as is otherwise needed in the recruitment and hiring processes. Such processing is legally permissible under Art. 6(1)(f) of Regulation (EU) 2016/679 (General Data Protection Regulation) as necessary for the purposes of the legitimate interests pursued by Elastic, which are the solicitation, evaluation, and selection of applicants for employment. Your personal data will be shared with Greenhouse Software, Inc., a cloud services provider located in the United States of America and engaged by Elastic to help manage its recruitment and hiring process on Elastic’s behalf. Accordingly, if you are located outside of the United States, your personal data will be transferred to the United States once you submit it through this site. Because the European Union Commission has determined that United States data privacy laws do not ensure an adequate level of protection for personal data collected from EU data subjects, the transfer will be subject to appropriate additional safeguards under the standard contractual clauses. You can obtain a copy of the standard contractual clauses by contacting us at email@example.com. Elastic’s data protection officer is Daniela Duda, who can be contacted at firstname.lastname@example.org. We plan to keep your data until our open role is filled. We cannot estimate the exact time period, but we will consider this period ended when a candidate accepts our job offer for the position for which we are considering you. When that period is over, we may keep your data for an additional period no longer than 3 years in case additional opportunities present themselves in which yours skills might be better suited. For additional details, please see our Elastic Privacy Statement https://www.elastic.co/legal/privacy-statement.
Notify Me of Open Positions
Sign up to receive emails when Elastic posts open positions you might be interested in: