Elastic is a search company built on a free and open heritage. Anyone can use Elastic products and solutions to get started quickly and frictionlessly. Elastic offers three solutions for enterprise search, observability, and security, built on one technology stack that can be deployed anywhere. From finding documents to monitoring infrastructure to hunting for threats, Elastic makes data usable in real time and at scale. Thousands of organizations worldwide, including Cisco, eBay, Goldman Sachs, Microsoft, The Mayo Clinic, NASA, The New York Times, Wikipedia, and Verizon, use Elastic to power mission-critical systems. Founded in 2012, Elastic is a distributed company with Elasticians around the globe and is publicly traded on the NYSE under the symbol ESTC. Learn more at elastic.co.
The Elastic Stack is the unparalleled swiss army knife of search and analytics, and Elastic Cloud is the best way to experience the Elastic Stack. A critical piece of the platform is our Kubernetes-based service infrastructure. We need a skilled SRE leader to lead this important team.
The Services SRE manager will work with the wider SRE and Cloud development organization to maintain a strong site reliability practice. In addition to technical and design input into how Elastic moves forward in this way, the Manager will be responsible for mentoring and developing their team, and working with SRE leadership to develop talent across the group.
What you will be doing:
- Lead a globally distributed team of 8-12 experienced engineers. You would evaluate performance, give timely feedback, and advocate for their career paths, while ensuring the goals of the team are met.
- Work closely with other engineering teams and leadership to define requirements and roadmaps. Our community and company rely on this platform. Proactivity is important.
- Organize effective on-call rotations to promote both uptime and engineer quality of life.
- Foster a culture of mutual respect, collaboration, and consensus-based decision-making. Clear and open communication are keys to success in a team spread across regions, cultures, and experience.
- Driving forward a software-first mentality. We are SREs in the truest sense: We’re developers that manage state. We’re operators that automate away work.
- Plan for team capacity and help drive recruitment of high quality people.
What you bring along:
- Experience leading a team of Software Engineers, preferably in a production capacity with uptime requirements.
- Experience building complex and completely automated systems, or leading a team that has. We run a large, multi-cluster Kubernetes environment. We support several cloud providers. We work on many projects across the company. Even though this is a management role, you'll need technical instincts in order to help your team set and met their goals.
- Expertise in at least one programming language. The execution of the team is heavily dependent on maintainable code over time. You can (and should!) write code, but your priority is to make sure the team is delivers, and knowing what good operational software looks like is an important ingredient.
- Genuine care for the well-being of your team, striving to be an emotionally intelligent, egoless, humble, servant-leader. A sense of humor is a big help. You believe that a diverse company is a better company.
- Experience leading an SRE team within a large SaaS environment.
- A history of maintaining software. Could be an open-source project. You understand that it is both a codebase and a community.
- Search and analytics tools, particularly the Elastic Stack. A love for what our company builds will only help.
- We are a polyglot team; a love for learning programming languages would serve you well.
- Speaking/presenting. You will need to communicate effectively to others inside the company and out.
- Open-source. OSS is our DNA. If you have ever contributed to an open-source project, or even just followed one closely you'll have a good sense for how our company operates and how engineers can thrive here.
Additional Information - We Take Care of Our People
As a distributed company, diversity drives our identity. Whether you’re looking to launch a new career or grow an existing one, Elastic is the type of company where you can balance great work with great life. Your age is only a number. It doesn’t matter if you’re just out of college or your children are; we need you for what you can do.
We strive to have parity of benefits across regions and while regulations differ from place to place, we believe taking care of our people is the right thing to do.
- Competitive pay based on the work you do here and not your previous salary
- Health coverage for you and your family in many locations
- Ability to craft your calendar with flexible locations and schedules for many roles
- Generous number of vacation days each year
- Double your charitable giving - We match up to $1500 (or local currency equivalent)
- Up to 40 hours each year to use toward volunteer projects you love
- Embracing parenthood with minimum of 16 weeks of parental leave
Different people approach problems differently. We need that. Elastic is committed to diversity as well as inclusion. We are an equal opportunity employer and committed to the principles of affirmative action. Qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender perception or identity, national origin, age, marital status, protected veteran status, or disability status or any other basis protected by federal, state or local law, ordinance or regulation. If you require any reasonable accessibility support, please complete our Candidate Accessibility Request Form.
Applicants have rights under Federal Employment Laws, view posters linked below:
Family and Medical Leave Act (FMLA) Poster; Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) Poster; and Employee Polygraph Protection Act (EPPA) Poster.
Please see here for our Privacy Statement.