At Elastic, we see endless possibility in a world of endless data. And we use the power of search to help people and organizations turn that possibility into results. Elastic is the leading platform for search-powered solutions. With solutions in Enterprise Search, Observability, and Security, we help improve customer and employee search experiences, keep critical applications running smoothly, and protect against cyber threats. Elastic enables organizations worldwide to use the power of Elastic, including Netflix, Uber, BBC, Microsoft, and thousands of others.
Elastic was built on a foundation of being free and open, which trickles down to how we work. We’re a distributed organization and have been from the beginning. Being distributed isn’t just a way of doing business—it’s a mentality that is at the core of our culture.
Reporting to the global Head of Corporate and M&A (dotted line to Chief Legal Officer), we are hiring our first Government Affairs leader to join the legal department in this fast growing, truly globally distributed company! This position is ideal for a self-sufficient and resourceful specialist, ideally based in the Washington, DC metropolitan area in the United States, although we will consider candidates elsewhere in the U.S. This is a growth position in a fast-paced technology company covering Open Source, Licensed Product, SaaS and Managed Services.
What You Will Be Doing:
- In partnership with your legal colleagues, define and lead the Government Affairs strategy for the company.
- Work with the Public Sector business to identify key funding opportunities (initial focus on the U.S. Federal business) and messaging aligned to further Elastic’s brand and reputation with its government customers.
- Ensure company engagement on key legislation and policy initiatives that impact Elastic’s business.
- Work with business leaders across the company to align the Government Affairs strategy to the key business priorities.
- Develop and manage a global Government Affairs strategy, including advice of key relationships with trade and industry associations; collaborates with other industry leaders to build common areas of interest.
- Ensure preparedness for key meetings with regulators and other leaders in Washington, D.C. and other U.S. and international locations as deemed necessary and appropriate to the program; may testify or work with other legal leaders to support others to testify before government committees in support of the organization and/or industry.
- Act as Elastic’s Government Affairs voice in Washington, D.C., building and maintaining professional relationships with members of federal, state and local government entities and agencies.
- Partner with co-workers, in a company culture that is open, welcoming and unequaled.
- Direct ongoing monitoring and analysis of proposed legislation, emerging issues and trends to advise on and resolve the potential impact on the business.
What You Bring Along:
- You have a minimum of a bachelor’s degree in public policy, political science, public administration, business or equivalent.
- You have proven experience (~10+ years) in public policy / government affairs related work (an advanced degree and any combination of in-house, trade association or other relevant experience will be considered); experience related to the business of sophisticated software and SaaS solutions with an emphasis on search, “big data”, artificial intelligence (e.g., machine learning) and open source products will be considered a plus.
- You are a self-starter and with a proven ability to collaborate with industry groups and/or organizations with complimentary objectives to achieve objectives as well as working independently. You will create communication vehicles to deliver messaging and to inform and support business leaders (and, vice versa, to assist business leaders to collaborate with you to deliver key messaging to the right government officials, as directed by the Government Affairs office).
- You have proven ability to build plans and policies and to collaborate across teams to build relationships and liaise with government entities (Federal, State and local – with an initial emphasis on U.S. Federal – expanding horizons to key global initiatives) that regulate or influence business activities.
- Are you an influencer who enjoys negotiating? Can you demonstrate flexibility with good judgment/decision-making skills, and political savvy?
- This role will be for someone who can build and foster effective relationships and who his highly networked within the public policy industry.
- As a spokesperson for Elastic, this role also requires a strong professional reputation in the industry, maintaining a high level of ethical conduct, confidentiality and integrity.
- Are you someone that thrives in an environment where you can drive innovation? Do you have the ability to flexibly prioritize, think creatively “on your feet”? And do you genuinely enjoy working independently while collaborating cross-functionally within a team environment? Then Elastic could be the perfectly imperfect place for you!
Additional Information - We Take Care of Our People
As a distributed company, diversity drives our identity. Whether you’re looking to launch a new career or grow an existing one, Elastic is the type of company where you can balance great work with great life. Your age is only a number. It doesn’t matter if you’re just out of college or your children are; we need you for what you can do.
We strive to have parity of benefits across regions and while regulations differ from place to place, we believe taking care of our people is the right thing to do.
- Competitive pay based on the work you do here and not your previous salary
- Health coverage for you and your family in many locations
- Ability to craft your calendar with flexible locations and schedules for many roles
- Generous number of vacation days each year
- Double your charitable giving - We match donations 1:1 up to $1500 USD (or local currency equivalent)
- Up to 40 hours each year to use toward volunteer projects you love.
- Embracing parenthood with minimum of 16 weeks of parental leave
The typical starting Total Cash Compensation range for new hires in this role is between $184,500 and $253,800, which consists of a Base Salary or a Base Salary plus a Target Commission, depending on the specific role. The Base Salary offered may vary depending on factors including skills and experience.
Additionally, this role is currently eligible to participate in Elastic’s equity plan as well as a range of health & wellbeing, retirement savings, and other benefits within a holistic total rewards offering.
Different people approach problems differently. We need that. Elastic is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer committed to diversity, equity, and inclusion. Qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, ethnicity, color, religion, sex, pregnancy, sexual orientation, gender perception or identity, national origin, age, marital status, protected veteran status, disability status, or any other basis protected by federal, state or local law, ordinance or regulation.
We welcome individuals with disabilities and strive to create an accessible and inclusive experience for all individuals. To request an accommodation during the application or the recruiting process, please email email@example.com We will reply to your request within 24 business hours of submission.
Applicants have rights under Federal Employment Laws, view posters linked below:
Family and Medical Leave Act (FMLA) Poster; Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) Poster; and Employee Polygraph Protection Act (EPPA) Poster.
Please see here for our Privacy Statement.