At Elastic, we see endless possibility in a world of endless data. And we use the power of search to help people and organizations turn that possibility into results. Elastic is the leading platform for search-powered solutions. With solutions in Enterprise Search, Observability, and Security, we help improve customer and employee search experiences, keep critical applications running smoothly, and protect against cyber threats. Elastic enables organizations worldwide to use the power of Elastic, including Netflix, Uber, BBC, Microsoft, and thousands of others.
Elastic was built on a foundation of being free and open, which trickles down to how we work. We’re a distributed organization and have been from the beginning. Being distributed isn’t just a way of doing business—it’s a mentality that is at the core of our culture.
Reporting to the Chief Legal Officer, we are hiring a Head of Product and Intellectual Property (IP) to join the legal department in this fast growing, truly globally distributed company! This position is ideal for a self-sufficient and resourceful executive, and we will consider candidates located anywhere in the United States. This is a growth position in a fast-paced technology company covering SaaS, Licensing and Managed Services.
What You Will Be Doing:
- Leading the legal strategy for the company’s innovation management, risk mitigation, revenue and asset base growth driven intellectual property protection system, relying on the cross-functional resources available to you across our team and the company.
- Counseling executives and the business on these strategies, aligning to the company objectives while identifying and steering towards key business opportunities.
- Establishing standard review processes for ensuring license provisions and registration requirements of licenses within different countries in which users are being licensed are being met.
- Develop an industry sector focused innovation management system, determination of recommended processes and formation of an associated patent/innovation review committee team that promotes diversity in IP innovation, efficient processes, and regulatory compliance; this will include regular training of engineers and innovation disclosure sessions.
- Improve our trade secret and knowhow protection system worldwide; improve our system for the internal and external management of each intellectual property asset category.
- Ensure effective cost management, global filing requirements, and competency of external counsel for global IP portfolio management, aligned to company growth objectives.
- Provide guidance on the landscape for brand protection and patent infringement risks, including with move into Cloud and Cybersecurity, with a particular focus on the U.S., China and EU regimes; close support of and collaboration with in house litigation counsel on all IP disputes, including collaboration with case management system.
- Establish and lead the IP Steering Committee (IPSC) as well as ensuring that other relevant meetings are planned in advance with internal team members to provide regular communication and feedback sessions at the product level; design and implement regular meetings on internal IP management, including training on key issues of interest such as contractual IP issues and development and ownership of IP, as well as key concerns relating to Open Source.
- Do you enjoy acting as a company spokesperson? We welcome a leader who can participate in external advisory groups to facilitate outside in innovation and who will be additive to the Elastic brand!
What You Bring Along:
- Demonstrated ability counseling global technology companies on product and IP innovation systems, either in house or at a law firm (10+ years) with experience leading risk mitigation.
- Demonstrated ability to work cross functionally and cross culturally, with international and local regulatory insights relevant to cloud and open source.
- Expertise in brand development, clearance and prosecution.
- Experience being accountable for a sophisticated IP budget.
- Experience counseling on M&A and other investments, including strategic input on the technology and due diligence review.
- Understanding of licensing systems internationally including all aspects of distribution, supply and joint development, the cross functional dependencies between open source, and traditional IP licensing strategies in the software licensing and cloud industries, the cloud industry and evolution of transformation of on premise to cloud, and license compliance systems and prosecution.
- Management of in house docketing systems including backup and reporting.
- Excellent judgment and the ability to balance legal risks with business strategy, including scaling quickly in a fast paced environment.
- Ability to flexibly prioritize and handle ambiguity.
- Enthusiasm for cross-functional collaboration and team work.
Additional Information - We Take Care of Our People
As a distributed company, diversity drives our identity. Whether you’re looking to launch a new career or grow an existing one, Elastic is the type of company where you can balance great work with great life. Your age is only a number. It doesn’t matter if you’re just out of college or your children are; we need you for what you can do.
We strive to have parity of benefits across regions and while regulations differ from place to place, we believe taking care of our people is the right thing to do.
- Competitive pay based on the work you do here and not your previous salary
- Health coverage for you and your family in many locations
- Ability to craft your calendar with flexible locations and schedules for many roles
- Generous number of vacation days each year
- Double your charitable giving - We match donations 1:1 up to $1500 USD (or local currency equivalent)
- Up to 40 hours each year to use toward volunteer projects you love.
- Embracing parenthood with minimum of 16 weeks of parental leave
The typical starting Total Cash Compensation range for new hires in this role is between $221,400 and $304,600, which consists of a Base Salary or a Base Salary plus a Target Commission, depending on the specific role. The Base Salary offered may vary depending on factors including skills and experience.
Additionally, this role is currently eligible to participate in Elastic’s equity plan as well as a range of health & wellbeing, retirement savings, and other benefits within a holistic total rewards offering.
Different people approach problems differently. We need that. Elastic is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer committed to diversity, equity, and inclusion. Qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, ethnicity, color, religion, sex, pregnancy, sexual orientation, gender perception or identity, national origin, age, marital status, protected veteran status, disability status, or any other basis protected by federal, state or local law, ordinance or regulation.
We welcome individuals with disabilities and strive to create an accessible and inclusive experience for all individuals. To request an accommodation during the application or the recruiting process, please email email@example.com We will reply to your request within 24 business hours of submission.
Applicants have rights under Federal Employment Laws, view posters linked below:
Family and Medical Leave Act (FMLA) Poster; Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) Poster; and Employee Polygraph Protection Act (EPPA) Poster.
Please see here for our Privacy Statement.