At Elastic, we see endless possibility in a world of endless data. And we use the power of search to help people and organizations turn that possibility into results. Elastic is the leading platform for search-powered solutions. With solutions in Enterprise Search, Observability, and Security, we help improve customer and employee search experiences, keep critical applications running smoothly, and protect against cyber threats. Elastic enables organizations worldwide to use the power of Elastic, including Netflix, Uber, BBC, Microsoft, and thousands of others.
Elastic was built on a foundation of being free and open, which trickles down to how we work. We’re a distributed organization and have been from the beginning. Being distributed isn’t just a way of doing business—it’s a mentality that is at the core of our culture.
Reporting to our VP of Business Integrity and Privacy, we are seeking a seasoned privacy attorney to serve as Director of Privacy. This position is ideal for an entrepreneurial and collaborative subject matter expert with experience leading a team of attorneys. This is an exciting opportunity to join a dynamic, fully distributed global enterprise and foster the continued development of its global privacy program. We will consider applicants in the United States or Europe.
What You Will Be Doing:
- Lead 3 team members who are responsible for the operation of Elastic’s privacy processes and controls.
- Lead the Data Privacy Program, providing strategic direction and insights to support an business-forward, innovative and risk-based approach.
- Advise on legal and business strategies for mitigating privacy related risks and ensuring compliance with regulations and laws.
- Drive privacy initiatives and strategic plans set by leadership.
- Do you enjoy working cross functionally in a highly collaborative environment? This role requires a leader who thrives in working cross-functionally to drive privacy compliance and awareness across the company, including in product development, procurement, HR, finance, legal, sales, and other areas.
- Maintain subject matter expertise in applicable foreign and domestic regulations pertaining to privacy and data security, and stay on top of changes and new developments. This includes analysis of the impact of new or pending laws and regulations on Elastic’s business and operations.
- Support both the customer-facing and supplier-facing legal teams with legal advice related to security and privacy contract terms.
- Review, revise and update privacy notices and policies.
- Advise on privacy and data protection-related inquiries from a wide range of stakeholders within the company and provide practical advice consistent with Elastic’s risk tolerance.
- Oversee and assist with routine work, such as privacy impact assessments, data protection impact assessments, transfer impact assessments, records of processing activities, data subject access requests, and data processing/usage/transfer agreements.
- Assist with privacy training and awareness efforts.
What You Bring:
- Candidates must have at least 10 years of legal experience specific to privacy, and at least 5 years of in-house experience in managerial roles.
- Candidates must have experience overseeing the operational aspects of a privacy program, such as developing and/or implementing systems and processes for:
- Mitigating customer and vendor privacy risks
- Data inventory/categorization/mapping
- Compliance with data subject access requests and deletion requests
- Providing required notices and collecting required consents
- Auditing and monitoring data lifecycle controls.
- Conducting privacy risk and impact assessments.
- Experience addressing complex matters encompassing U.S. and European data privacy and cybersecurity regulations.
- Experience reviewing, drafting and negotiating privacy and data protection contract terms and agreements, data processing, usage, and/or transfer agreements.
- Candidates must be proactive, able to exercise independent judgment, and work effectively on cross-functional teams.
- Candidates must demonstrate a sense of ownership and must be comfortable in a dynamic and evolving environment.
- Excellent judgment, character, and professional integrity.
- Actively licensed to practice law.
Bonus Qualifications (Nice to Haves):
- We strongly prefer candidates with experience in technology companies and/or tech-forward global enterprises.
- Privacy certifications, such as CIPP/CIPM or their equivalents are preferred but not required.
Additional Information - We Take Care of Our People
As a distributed company, diversity drives our identity. Whether you’re looking to launch a new career or grow an existing one, Elastic is the type of company where you can balance great work with great life. Your age is only a number. It doesn’t matter if you’re just out of college or your children are; we need you for what you can do.
We strive to have parity of benefits across regions and while regulations differ from place to place, we believe taking care of our people is the right thing to do.
- Competitive pay based on the work you do here and not your previous salary
- Health coverage for you and your family in many locations
- Ability to craft your calendar with flexible locations and schedules for many roles
- Generous number of vacation days each year
- Double your charitable giving - We match donations 1:1 up to $1500 USD (or local currency equivalent)
- Up to 40 hours each year to use toward volunteer projects you love.
- Embracing parenthood with minimum of 16 weeks of parental leave
The typical starting Total Cash Compensation range for new hires in this role is between $153,800 and $211,500, which consists of a Base Salary or a Base Salary plus a Target Commission, depending on the specific role. The Base Salary offered may vary depending on factors including skills and experience.
Additionally, this role is currently eligible to participate in Elastic’s equity plan as well as a range of health & wellbeing, retirement savings, and other benefits within a holistic total rewards offering.
Different people approach problems differently. We need that. Elastic is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer committed to diversity, equity, and inclusion. Qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, ethnicity, color, religion, sex, pregnancy, sexual orientation, gender perception or identity, national origin, age, marital status, protected veteran status, disability status, or any other basis protected by federal, state or local law, ordinance or regulation.
We welcome individuals with disabilities and strive to create an accessible and inclusive experience for all individuals. To request an accommodation during the application or the recruiting process, please email firstname.lastname@example.org We will reply to your request within 24 business hours of submission.
Applicants have rights under Federal Employment Laws, view posters linked below:
Family and Medical Leave Act (FMLA) Poster; Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) Poster; and Employee Polygraph Protection Act (EPPA) Poster.
Please see here for our Privacy Statement.