Elastic is a search company built on a free and open heritage. Anyone can use Elastic products and solutions to get started quickly and frictionlessly. Elastic offers three solutions for enterprise search, observability, and security, built on one technology stack that can be deployed anywhere. From finding documents to monitoring infrastructure to hunting for threats, Elastic makes data usable in real time and at scale. Thousands of organizations worldwide, including Cisco, eBay, Goldman Sachs, Microsoft, The Mayo Clinic, NASA, The New York Times, Wikipedia, and Verizon, use Elastic to power mission-critical systems. Founded in 2012, Elastic is a distributed company with Elasticians around the globe and is publicly traded on the NYSE under the symbol ESTC. Learn more at elastic.co.
Elastic is looking for an experienced, versatile employment law attorney to join our legal department, serving as the primary employment law point of contact for our EMEA clients in this fast growing, truly globally distributed company. The successful candidate will report directly to the Senior Employment Counsel, and work closely with our HR team, other members of the Legal team and other business partners. This position can be remote, or associated with our offices in London, Paris, or Amsterdam.
What you’ll do:
- This position reports directly to Elastic’s Senior Employment Counsel, and you will work closely with the Chief of Ethics and Global Compliance, and other members of our hardworking and dedicated legal team, to drive excellence and consistency in all areas of employment law across EMEA, promote and ensure our culture, values of diversity and inclusion, as well as compliance with employment laws and privacy laws related to employees, while proactively managing and reducing potential employment-related risks.
- Provide advice and strategic support to the Elastic HR Team and business leaders across EMEA on a range of employment law issues including those relating to recruiting, hiring, performance management, mergers and acquisitions, re-organizations, compensation and benefits, leaves of absence, diversity programs, contingent workforces, and other employment-related matters.
- Draft and negotiate employment-related agreements, guidelines, contracts, benefits plans, and policies.
- Partner with Senior Employment Counsel, our HR Team, and managers across Elastic to build efficient processes to maintain compliance with employment laws and regulations.
- Coordinate and drive completion of employment related projects, including internal process reviews, new policy roll-outs and implementation, and training programs.
- With support from the Senior Employment Counsel, handle employment-related disputes, investigations and litigation across EMEA.
- Provide pragmatic day-to-day employment advice and counseling to members of the HR Team in order to unblock business needs and appropriately balance achievement of business objectives against legal risk.
- Track important developments in employment law in jurisdictions across EMEA, flagging trends in their infancy.
- Work closely with and manage outside counsel in connection with employment matters in EMEA.
What we’re looking for:
- Active practicing license as an attorney in the UK, or the equivalent qualification as required for in-house counsel in any EU jurisdiction
- 5-8 years of related experience, preferably handling employment issues in a demanding and innovative legal environment
- Expertise in employment counseling and litigation or litigation management, with a strong understanding of European employment laws, including the employment laws of at least one or more of the following: France, Germany, Netherlands, Spain, United Kingdom
- Prior in-house experience at an international company is strongly preferred
- Track record of delivering pragmatic solutions to novel legal problems and resolving disputes efficiently and effectively
- Ability to identify, prioritize, and resolve issues quickly and efficiently
- Strong work ethic, exceptional judgment, and impeccable integrity
- Excellent written and oral communication skills are a must
- Interest in building strong cross-functional relationships
- Ability to connect with multinational teams operating in multiple time zones effectively
Additional Information - We Take Care of Our People
As a distributed company, diversity drives our identity. Whether you’re looking to launch a new career or grow an existing one, Elastic is the type of company where you can balance great work with great life. Your age is only a number. It doesn’t matter if you’re just out of college or your children are; we need you for what you can do.
We strive to have parity of benefits across regions and while regulations differ from place to place, we believe taking care of our people is the right thing to do.
- Competitive pay based on the work you do here and not your previous salary
- Health coverage for you and your family in many locations
- Ability to craft your calendar with flexible locations and schedules for many roles
- Generous number of vacation days each year
- Double your charitable giving - We match up to $1500 (or local currency equivalent)
- Up to 40 hours each year to use toward volunteer projects you love
- Embracing parenthood with minimum of 16 weeks of parental leave
Different people approach problems differently. We need that. Elastic is committed to diversity as well as inclusion. We are an equal opportunity employer and committed to the principles of affirmative action. Qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender perception or identity, national origin, age, marital status, protected veteran status, or disability status or any other basis protected by federal, state or local law, ordinance or regulation. If you require any reasonable accessibility support, please complete our Candidate Accessibility Request Form.
Please see here for our Privacy Statement.