Elastic is a search company built on a free and open heritage. Anyone can use Elastic products and solutions to get started quickly and frictionlessly. Elastic offers three solutions for enterprise search, observability, and security, built on one technology stack that can be deployed anywhere. From finding documents to monitoring infrastructure to hunting for threats, Elastic makes data usable in real time and at scale. Thousands of organizations worldwide, including Cisco, eBay, Goldman Sachs, Microsoft, The Mayo Clinic, NASA, The New York Times, Wikipedia, and Verizon, use Elastic to power mission-critical systems. Founded in 2012, Elastic is a distributed company with Elasticians around the globe and is publicly traded on the NYSE under the symbol ESTC. Learn more at elastic.co.
We seek to hire a Commercial Counsel U.S. Public Sector to join our legal department in this fast-growing, truly globally distributed company. We Elasticians are welcome, open, and empathetic and your legal co-workers are sharp and motivated to do their best work. This is primarily a work-from-home position.
What You Will Be Doing:
- Negotiate, structure, and close a wide variety of software, cloud, and IT services contracts, supporting our Sales and Partner organizations serving federal, state, and local government customers in the United States
- Counsel internal clients on government contracts-related compliance matters related to human resources, marketing, product development, information security, and other topics
- Draft and implement policies and procedures relating to public sector business
- Complete and maintain representations and certifications and perform due diligence to
- Help build and strengthen communications and relationships between the Legal and client departments.
What You Bring Along:
- PLEASE NOTE: The ideal candidate will have experience in government contracts and software sales transactions, but we will consider candidates with experience in one field or the other and willingness and enthusiasm to become an expert in both
- You have 3-5+ years of proven experience in the drafting and negotiation of technology contracts.
- A working knowledge of the FAR and DFARS, particularly with respect to software licensing.
- You have familiarity with the logistics and legal frameworks governing federal, state, and local procurement in the United States.
- You are able to synthesize directions while balancing legal risks with business strategy.
- Candidates who have experience both in-house and at a major national or international law firm are preferred.
- You thrive while independently running your own time in a demanding, fast-paced environment, and can handle ambiguity and rapidly shifting priorities with flexibility, patience, and humor.
Moreover, you have/are:
- Excellent written and oral communication skills.
- A self-starting, proactive, driven, adaptable person who can, with poise and patience, prioritize and balance projects and recalibrate advice in view of shifting priorities, legal developments, and risk tolerance.
- Experience with, or a proven understanding of, sophisticated software licensing business models and related legal issues.
- Demonstrated ability to consistently deliver outstanding, thoughtful, user-experience-focused results
- Prior experience representing high-growth companies is strongly preferred.
- Ability to collaborate and function well in a distributed team environment.
- Ability to participate in limited travel requirements.
- A JD from a top law school.
- A license to practice law in one of the 50 United States.
Additional Information - We Take Care of Our People
As a distributed company, diversity drives our identity. Whether you’re looking to launch a new career or grow an existing one, Elastic is the type of company where you can balance great work with great life. Your age is only a number. It doesn’t matter if you’re just out of college or your children are; we need you for what you can do.
We strive to have parity of benefits across regions and while regulations differ from place to place, we believe taking care of our people is the right thing to do.
- Competitive pay based on the work you do here and not your previous salary
- Health coverage for you and your family in many locations
- Ability to craft your calendar with flexible locations and schedules for many roles
- Generous number of vacation days each year
- Double your charitable giving - We match up to $1500 (or local currency equivalent)
- Up to 40 hours each year to use toward volunteer projects you love
- Embracing parenthood with minimum of 16 weeks of parental leave
Different people approach problems differently. We need that. Elastic is committed to diversity as well as inclusion. We are an equal opportunity employer and committed to the principles of affirmative action. Qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender perception or identity, national origin, age, marital status, protected veteran status, or disability status or any other basis protected by federal, state or local law, ordinance or regulation. If you require any reasonable accessibility support, please complete our Candidate Accessibility Request Form.
Please see here for our Privacy Statement.