Elastic is an open source search company that powers enterprise search, observability, and security solutions built on one technology stack that can be deployed anywhere. From finding documents to monitoring infrastructure to hunting for threats, Elastic makes data usable in real time and at scale. Thousands of organizations worldwide, including Barclays, Cisco, eBay, Fairfax, ING, Goldman Sachs, Microsoft, The Mayo Clinic, NASA, The New York Times, Wikipedia, and Verizon, use Elastic to power mission-critical systems. Founded in 2012, Elastic is a distributed company with Elasticians around the globe. Learn more at elastic.co.
We seek to hire a Commercial Counsel to join our EMEA legal department focussing on work with customers in Northern EMEA in this fast growing, truly globally distributed company. Although all our Elasticians are able to work from home, this position is primarily based in our Amsterdam office and will be ideal for a self-sufficient and resourceful mid-level lawyer located in or nearby Amsterdam.
What You Will Be Doing:
- Negotiate, structure, and close a wide variety of commercial contracts, supporting our Sales and Business Development organizations in Northern EMEA.
- Work closely with and report to our VP Legal EMEA and be part of an EMEA team of lawyers in London, Munich and Paris
- Engage closely with the wider legal department spread across the USA and APJ and the Company’s go-to-market, finance and compliance organization on such other projects and regulatory issues as may be required
- Help build and strengthen communications and relationships between the Legal department and the other departments that we work with closely
- Work with an international organization on groundbreaking Big Data technology that's having a real impact, across the globe, with unlimited use cases and massive market opportunity
- Partner with co-workers who are sharp and motivated, combined with a company culture that is open, welcoming and unequaled
Our Ideal Candidate Must:
- Be legally permitted to practice law in The Netherlands
- Have 5-8 years of experience in the drafting and negotiation of technology contracts, excellent judgment, and are able to balance legal risks with business strategy
- Have experience both in-house and at a major national or international law firm (preferred)
- Be fluent in Dutch and English, as a minimum (proficiency in other languages will be welcome)
- Thrive while independently running your own time in a demanding, fast-paced environment, and can handle ambiguity and rapidly shifting priorities with flexibility, patience, and humour
Moreover, you have/are:
- Excellent written and oral communication skills
- A self-starting, proactive, driven, adaptable person who can, with poise and patience, prioritize and balance multiple projects and recalibrate advice in view of shifting priorities, legal developments, and risk tolerance
- Experience with, or at least a good working knowledge of, complex software licensing business models and related legal issues
- Demonstrated ability to consistently deliver extraordinary, thoughtful, user-experience focused results in a dynamic environment
- Familiarity with data protection and privacy issues and concerns in the context of technology transactions is a significant plus
- Prior experience representing high-growth companies is strongly preferred
- Ability to collaborate and function well in a distributed team environment
- Ability to participate in some limited travel requirements
- A degree from a well respected university, excellent professional qualifications and experience in private practice from with a top tier law firm
Additional Information - We Take Care of Our People
As a distributed company, diversity drives our identity. Whether you’re looking to launch a new career or grow an existing one, Elastic is the type of company where you can balance great work with great life. Your age is only a number. It doesn’t matter if you’re just out of college or your children are; we need you for what you can do.
We strive to have parity of benefits across regions and while regulations differ from place to place, we believe taking care of our people is the right thing to do.
- Competitive pay based on the work you do here and not your previous salary
- Health coverage for you and your family in many locations
- Ability to craft your calendar with flexible locations and schedules for many roles
- Generous number of vacation days each year
- Double your charitable giving - We match up to $1500 (or local currency equivalent)
- Up to 40 hours each year to use toward volunteer projects you love
- Embracing parenthood with minimum of 16 weeks of parental leave
Different people approach problems differently. We need that. Elastic is committed to diversity as well as inclusion. We are an equal opportunity employer and committed to the principles of affirmative action. Qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender perception or identity, national origin, age, marital status, protected veteran status, or disability status or any other basis protected by federal, state or local law, ordinance or regulation. If you require any reasonable accessibility support, please email email@example.com.
Please see here for our Privacy Statement.