At Elastic, we see endless possibility in a world of endless data. And we use the power of search to help people and organizations turn that possibility into results. Elastic is the leading platform for search-powered solutions. With solutions in Enterprise Search, Observability, and Security, we help improve customer and employee search experiences, keep critical applications running smoothly, and protect against cyber threats. Elastic enables organizations worldwide to use the power of Elastic, including Netflix, Uber, BBC, Microsoft, and thousands of others.
Elastic was built on a foundation of being free and open, which trickles down to how we work. We’re a distributed organization and have been from the beginning. Being distributed isn’t just a way of doing business—it’s a mentality that is at the core of our culture.
Reporting to the global Head of Product and IP, we are hiring an IP Counsel to join the legal department in this fast growing, truly globally distributed company! This position is ideal for a self-sufficient and resourceful mid-level attorney based anywhere in the United States. This is a growth position in a fast-paced technology company covering IP prosecution and related IP rights matters.
What You Will Be Doing:
- In partnership with your Product and IP legal team members, you will counsel engineering and product management teams on intellectual property rights matters (patents, copyright, trademark, trade secrets).
- Build a strategic and defensive patent portfolio by partnering with the liaison counsel for Product to develop relationships with product and engineering leads, understand product development strategy, conduct patent harvesting meetings and identify patentable inventions, coordinate the innovation disclosure process, and, as needed, direct outside counsel on patent prosecution.
- Collaborate with Marketing and Branding teams, as well as the lead marketing counsel, to ensure the global trademark portfolio aligns with business and product strategy, and, as needed, direct outside counsel in trademark prosecution activities.
- Coordinate Elastic’s trademark enforcement matters globally, including all litigation and pre-litigation disputes, in close collaboration with Elastic's litigation counsel.
- Support the management of patent litigation matters in collaboration with lead litigation counsel and internal and external personnel.
- Support IP-related diligence of M&A targets and integration of IP from acquisitions (e.g., transfer of IP portfolios, IP training for new employees).
- Review Elastic’s existing and planned products, business activities, and R&D in the context of IP risks as they relate to freedom to operate and product clearance analysis, competitor activities, industry trends, and laws and regulations.
- Support the IP Steering Committee and other cross-functional partnerships with your colleagues in the Products and IP team and other key team members across the company that will play a role in this function.
- Interest and capacity permitting, collaborate with Legal Product colleagues on product initiatives, such as drafting terms of service or playbooks.
- Participate in external interest groups to bring an outside/in perspective, ensuring that Elastic has an informed best-fit perspective.
- Partner with co-workers, in a company culture that is open, welcoming and unequaled.
What You Bring Along:
- You have a JD (or LLM) from a U.S. accredited law school and are admitted to practice law in the U.S.
- You have 6+years of experience in intellectual property law, including maintaining a tech company’s patent and/or trademark portfolio, counseling engineering and product teams on IP issues, and advising on related enforcement and litigation matters.
- Experience in self-managed software and SaaS solutions, search technologies, “big data”, machine learning and open source products is beneficial.
- Candidates who have IP experience both in-house and at a national or international law firm are preferred.
- You are admitted to practice before the USPTO.
- A technical background in computer science, computer / electrical engineering, or a related field of study is preferred.
- Are you someone that thrives in an environment where you can drive innovation? Do you have the ability to flexibly prioritize and think “on your feet”? And do genuinely enjoy for cross-functional collaboration and teamwork? Then Elastic could be the perfectly imperfect place for you!
Additional Information - We Take Care of Our People
As a distributed company, diversity drives our identity. Whether you’re looking to launch a new career or grow an existing one, Elastic is the type of company where you can balance great work with great life. Your age is only a number. It doesn’t matter if you’re just out of college or your children are; we need you for what you can do.
We strive to have parity of benefits across regions and while regulations differ from place to place, we believe taking care of our people is the right thing to do.
- Competitive pay based on the work you do here and not your previous salary
- Health coverage for you and your family in many locations
- Ability to craft your calendar with flexible locations and schedules for many roles
- Generous number of vacation days each year
- Double your charitable giving - We match donations 1:1 up to $1500 USD (or local currency equivalent)
- Up to 40 hours each year to use toward volunteer projects you love.
- Embracing parenthood with minimum of 16 weeks of parental leave
The typical starting Total Cash Compensation range for new hires in this role is between $106,800 and $146,900, which consists of a Base Salary or a Base Salary plus a Target Commission, depending on the specific role. The Base Salary offered may vary depending on factors including skills and experience.
Additionally, this role is currently eligible to participate in Elastic’s equity plan as well as a range of health & wellbeing, retirement savings, and other benefits within a holistic total rewards offering.
Different people approach problems differently. We need that. Elastic is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer committed to diversity, equity, and inclusion. Qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, ethnicity, color, religion, sex, pregnancy, sexual orientation, gender perception or identity, national origin, age, marital status, protected veteran status, disability status, or any other basis protected by federal, state or local law, ordinance or regulation.
We welcome individuals with disabilities and strive to create an accessible and inclusive experience for all individuals. To request an accommodation during the application or the recruiting process, please email email@example.com We will reply to your request within 24 business hours of submission.
Applicants have rights under Federal Employment Laws, view posters linked below:
Family and Medical Leave Act (FMLA) Poster; Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) Poster; and Employee Polygraph Protection Act (EPPA) Poster.
Please see here for our Privacy Statement.