Elastic is a search company built on a free and open heritage. Anyone can use Elastic products and solutions to get started quickly and frictionlessly. Elastic offers three solutions for enterprise search, observability, and security, built on one technology stack that can be deployed anywhere. From finding documents to monitoring infrastructure to hunting for threats, Elastic makes data usable in real time and at scale. Thousands of organizations worldwide, including Cisco, eBay, Goldman Sachs, Microsoft, The Mayo Clinic, NASA, The New York Times, Wikipedia, and Verizon, use Elastic to power mission-critical systems. Founded in 2012, Elastic is a distributed company with Elasticians around the globe and is publicly traded on the NYSE under the symbol ESTC. Learn more at elastic.co.
We seek to hire a Corporate Counsel, Products and Intellectual Property to join our legal department in this fast growing, truly globally distributed company. This is a fully remote position that will be ideal for a self-sufficient and resourceful mid-level attorney who is based in the United States.
What You Will Be Doing:
- Supporting engineering, product development, product management, and professional services teams with a focus on intellectual property rights issues (patents, copyright, trademark, trade secrets), open source compliance, and data collection and use.
- Working with commercial direct and enablement teams to draft and/or update license and/or terms of service agreements for new products and services and/or new features in existing products. Develop and/or update playbook provisions.
- Running Elastic’s global strategy for its patent and trademark portfolios and coordinate internal personnel and outside counsel in the execution of related prosecution activities.
- Leading Elastic’s IP enforcement matters globally, including all litigation and pre-litigation disputes and assertions,
- Partnering with outside counsel in the execution of Elastic’s IP enforcement strategies.
- Provide strategic counsel for product and business leads on strategic IP engagements, and assist in implementing processes to scale the IP program. Support IP-related diligence of M&A targets and integration of newly acquired business units with respect to IP issues (e.g., transfer of IP portfolios, IP training for new employees, integration with open source compliance program).
- Review Elastic’s existing and planned products, business activities, and R&D in the context of IP risks as they relate to competitor activities, industry trends, standard methodologies, and laws and regulations.
What You Bring Along:
- You have 6+ years of experience in product development and management for complex software and SaaS solutions with an emphasis on search, “big data”, artificial intelligence (e.g., machine learning) and open source products.
- You have 6+ years of experience in intellectual property law with a focus on patents and trademarks, including maintaining a tech company’s patent and/or trademark portfolio, experience enforcing IP against third party infringers, and advising on IP rights.
- You have a demonstrated ability to counsel engineering, product development and product management teams on sophisticated legal issues including intellectual property, open source software licensing, and litigation risks for self-managed software and SaaS solutions.
- Candidates who have experience both in-house and at a major national or international law firm are preferred.
Moreover, you have/are:
- Excellent written and oral communication skills. Excellent judgment.
- A self-starting, proactive, driven, adaptable person who can, with poise and patience, prioritize and balance multiple projects and recalibrate advice in view of shifting priorities, legal developments, and risk tolerance.
- Experience with, and a solid working knowledge of, sophisticated software, open source, and SaaS product development and licensing business models and related legal issues.
- Prior experience representing high-growth companies is strongly preferred.
- Ability to participate in some limited travel requirements.
- A JD from a top law school.
- A license to practice law in one of the 50 United States.
- Patent or trademark litigation experience is ideal but not required.
- USPTO membership is a plus.
Additional Information - We Take Care of Our People
As a distributed company, diversity drives our identity. Whether you’re looking to launch a new career or grow an existing one, Elastic is the type of company where you can balance great work with great life. Your age is only a number. It doesn’t matter if you’re just out of college or your children are; we need you for what you can do.
We strive to have parity of benefits across regions and while regulations differ from place to place, we believe taking care of our people is the right thing to do.
- Competitive pay based on the work you do here and not your previous salary
- Health coverage for you and your family in many locations
- Ability to craft your calendar with flexible locations and schedules for many roles
- Generous number of vacation days each year
- Double your charitable giving - We match up to $1500 (or local currency equivalent)
- Up to 40 hours each year to use toward volunteer projects you love
- Embracing parenthood with minimum of 16 weeks of parental leave
The typical starting Total Cash Compensation range for new hires in this role is between $149,300 and $205,300, which consists of a Base Salary or a Base Salary plus a Target Commission, depending on the specific role. The Base Salary offered may vary depending on factors including skills and experience.
Additionally, this role is currently eligible to participate in Elastic’s equity plan as well as a range of health & wellbeing, retirement savings, and other benefits within a holistic total rewards offering.
Different people approach problems differently. We need that. Elastic is committed to diversity as well as inclusion. We are an equal opportunity employer and committed to the principles of affirmative action. Qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender perception or identity, national origin, age, marital status, protected veteran status, or disability status or any other basis protected by federal, state or local law, ordinance or regulation. If you require any reasonable accessibility support, please complete our Candidate Accessibility Request Form.
Applicants have rights under Federal Employment Laws, view posters linked below:
Family and Medical Leave Act (FMLA) Poster; Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) Poster; and Employee Polygraph Protection Act (EPPA) Poster.
Please see here for our Privacy Statement.